Wednesday, July 22, 2009

I would not have done well in the 1950's

One of the main things that I am trying to adjust to during my time off work is the fact that all of the domestic responsibilities are now falling to me. Normally, my husband and I share this "joy", although it has never really been a true 50/50 division of labor (as I'm sure most women in relationships can agree with), at least there was the attempt to share.

Let me be upfront and acknowledge that my current situation is a cake walk compared to what 95% of women probably deal with. It's only the two of us--no kids, my husband is not even remotely messy, and I still have a cleaning lady that comes in twice a month. That being said, a domestic goddess was never something that I wanted to be. Every feminist bone in my body is fighting this current situation, however even I can see that asking my husband to cook after he comes home from work while I've had the day free lacks of fairness.

I'm trying to keep a sense of humor about the situation as I do the dishes, the laundry, pick up the house, make the bed, grocery shop, drop off/pick up the dry cleaning, etc. As I chat with the old Italian cobbler while having my husband's boots repaired, I see flashes of a life that his grandmother might have lived. While sewing new buttons on one of his suit jackets, I try to think about how lucky I was to have a grandmother who taught me how to sew (well, at least sew a button). When I get a call from my husband that he is on his way home, but skipped lunch that day, episodes of Leave it to Beaver flash through my head as I prepare to have dinner cooked and ready for his arrival.

To be fair, my husband is struggling with this new dynamic as well. The look on his face as I grabbed his hand to show him how I rearranged his closet was priceless. I can see him wondering what has happened to his career-driven wife/partner and know that he is hoping I will return to work soon. That said, I do wonder how much he will miss this current situation, especially the increase in home-cooked meals. Personally, I can't wait to get back to "normal"--my time-travel trip back to the 1950's is getting old.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Somehow I can't picture you in an apron and dish gloves. Good luck with that.

    ReplyDelete