Tuesday, July 21, 2009

How can such a small space pack so much drama?

The more time I spend at home, the more projects I need to come up with to fill my time. When you are cleansing yourself of things you don't need, that usually leads you to your closet--no matter how much you try to avoid it.

Like many women I know, my closet holds pieces of clothing in various sizes depending on my weight. Unfortunately, the space dedicated to clothes I can't currently wear is much larger than it should be, therefore I have avoided this particular task for as long as possible.

I used to love to get dressed up in fun dresses and funky takes on classics that reflected my "sassy" personality. For the past few years, I've been limited to shoes and accessories to express myself, as my clothes have defaulted to basics since that's what fits. While I'm the size of the average American woman and can shop at basically any store, I am definitely heavier than I used to be. Therefore, I'm caught in this cycle where I don't want to buy new clothes because I am "going to lose weight", but since I haven't lost the weight I'm wearing things I don't love and don't really feel good in.

While I had lost 10 pounds at the spa, it turns out that when you actually put food in your colon some of that weight comes back. I'm still 7 pounds down which is great, but I have a ways to go before I am at my personal ideal weight, which is back to what I was when I met my husband.

Everything they say about how people gain weight once they become part of a couple is true. It did not help that my husband is Italian and when he cooked, it generally meant pasta, which goes really well with wine--I think you can see where this is going. The combination of crazy work hours, a decade worth of carbo-loading, and a generally indulgent personality had led me to this place. No matter how much I wished it, I was not going to reverse things overnight.

The good news is that I am not doing it alone. Turns out my husband is doing a bit of a lifecleanse, too. He quit smoking (finally!) and now wants to run all of the time. The cute couple that indulged together is now the cute couple who runs together. Just don't get me started on the fact that he runs 3x farther than me and eats a salad for lunch and immediately loses weight.

Everything they say about guys losing weight easier than girls is true, too. Ugh.

1 comment:

  1. AH! Amen, sister! Except this is the couple that indulges together, and they live in LA where no one walks and it's 98 degrees. Has led to many a night in front of the TV! Great post.

    ReplyDelete