Tuesday, July 21, 2009

So now what?

Having returned from my spa getaway, I tried to adjust to being home and not working. After a day or two on my own, I definitely needed something to keep myself occupied, and Facebook can really only account for a couple of hours a day.

In keeping with my lifecleanse concept, I decided that a good project would be to go through the entire apartment and purge everything we didn't need--those items would be joining my friend's yard sale that Sunday.

While I had completed a major purge of our belongings when we moved a year and a half ago, I was amazed by the amount of things I had accumulated since then. In addition to the home decor shifts I had made, I had boxes of media graft from my previous employment. I'm not sure why I thought anything with a media company logo on it fit into my life, but each "present" made it's way home with me nonetheless. That Sunday, two carloads worth of my items joined my friend's on the sidewalk to tempt the farmer's market customers as they passed.

I must say, yard sales allow for interesting glimpses into human psychology (or maybe just mine). While my items were no longer needed and whatever didn't sell would be taken directly to goodwill, my ego had a hard time dealing with some of the "offers" that people made. As someone who prides herself on her decorating skills, it took me a bit to get passed the fact that people did not value my taste/style choices as much as I did--especially given the huge discounts I was offering. Once I got over that issue, I actually had fun negotiating with the variety of people who stopped by to find treasure in my trash. In the end, I made some money and left with one box headed to goodwill and one item to post on Craigslist. House cleanse complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment